Membership is open to everyone with an interest in stained glass. There are two classes of membership: Freeman and Liveryman. New members join as Freemen and may after a time apply to become Liverymen.
An application form for membership may be downloaded here (Microsoft Word document). It asks applicants to name two existing members of the Company to sponsor their application, one of whom must be a member of the Governing body, the Court. Applicants who do not know a member of the Company should not let this deter them from applying. The Company can arrange introductions. Have a look at this short video in which members of the Company tell us why they value it.
Benefits of Membership
- A flourishing social programme of visits both overseas and in the UK
- The opportunity to help the Company to develop through serving on its Committees and the Court
- The opportunity to play a part in the life of the City of London by becoming a Freeman of the City, and participating in the election of the Lord Mayor and the Sheriffs.
- An opportunity to deepen and develop your knowledge and appreciation of stained glass in the company of fellow lovers of this unique art form.
There is a joining fee of £270 and an annual subscription of £375, but there are reductions and phased payment arrangements in certain cases:
- For those whose livelihood comes from decorative and architectural glass (e.g. glass artists, conservators, curators) the joining fee is WAIVED and the annual subscription is REDUCED BY 50%.
- Those over 75 or those living overseas also benefit from a 50% reduction in the annual fee.
- Those under the age of 40 pay a reduced subscription (the amount is dependent on their age) and may spread the initial joining fee over the period between the year of joining and the year of their 40th birthday.